Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A poem I wrote after Kai's adoption...



LOBBY OF TEARS
by Kerry Dale Long

An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
--Chinese proverb


Tears of every emotion swelled my eyes
As the sea of yellow and lime green washed up the elevator
To the lobby on the 4th floor.

The lobby where men and women become parents
Where orphan girls become daughters,
The lobby where families become whole.

My limbs trembled with excitement
Trying to weather the storm of people rushing
Onto the crowded elevator at your heels.

Where are you going? I kept wondering
Worried that the glimpse of you may be the last
Not a rational thought in my mind.

Finally seeing you sitting there
Not truly understanding the chaos within
Made the swelling become a flood.

And then my first eye contact with you
Outside of the gazing at your picture
And clarity came quickly, followed by your smile.

Your gesture simply meant “hi”
But to me it translated into much more
It meant, I know you somehow.

Maybe during some of those moments
You were with me
Clutching that long red thread,
drawing it near.

When they placed you in my arms
And you looked into my eyes,
The red thread embraced my heart
The place I had carried you for years.

Every emotion I have ever experienced
Drenched my cheeks and chin
While your almond eyes danced with love.

Tears for my feeling of completeness
for her feeling of emptiness
for your innocence and sweetness.

Tears for my prayers finally being answered
the closing of a dark chapter of my life
watching Daddy hold you for the first time.

Tears for the shortening of that long red thread.


No comments:

Post a Comment